Do I need therapy for trauma?
If you have been having difficulties recovering from a traumatic experience, then trauma counseling can help. If you are having trouble understanding your disturbing thoughts, nightmares, fear, anxiety and other uncomfortable symptoms, then trauma counseling might be the answer.
You may be redirecting your feelings and thoughts outwards towards family, friends and coworkers. Perhaps you are experiencing denial, anger, sadness and emotional outbursts. Wherever you are in your recovery process, our compassionate trauma counselors in Illinois are here to help.
WHAT IS TRAUMA?
We Specialize in Therapy for Trauma
There are many definitions of trauma but the most common theme is that trauma is any event, which overwhelms a person’s ability to cope with it. Trauma affects your mental, emotional, social, and spiritual health and can make it difficult to live your life as you did before the trauma came into your life.
Trauma can come as either a one-time event or as a prolonged series of events.
Some of the most common causes of trauma include:
- Sexual Assault + Abuse
- Intimate Partner Violence/Domestic Violence
- Childhood Abuse and/or Neglect
- Natural Disasters
- Financial Uncertainty
- Food Insecurity
- Community Violence
- Medical/Health-Related Trauma
- Traumatic Grief
WHAT DOES TRAUMA LOOK LIKE?
It’s important to know that the symptoms that you may be experiencing following trauma exposure are actually a very normal and natural response to a very abnormal situation. Some of these symptoms include:
PSYCHOLOGICAL + EMOTIONAL
- Anxiety, fear, and panic attacks
- Depression and feelings of hopelessness
- Shock, denial, or disbelief
- Confusion, difficulty concentrating
- Mood swings, anger, and irritability
- Shame, guilt, and self-blame
- Hypervigilance, or a feeling of always being on edge
- Feelings of numbness or dissociation
- Social isolation and relational issues
- Difficulty sleeping or nightmares
- Feeling overly tired or easily fatigued
- Heightened startle response
- Difficulty concentrating on normal tasks
- Racing heartbeat or heart palpitations
- Bodily aches and pains
- Muscle tension
So, if you are struggling with feeling down. If you think you might benefit from trauma counseling, we can help. Please schedule now and have a free 15-minute phone consultation to see how we can help you with our trauma therapy.
Welcome to ACE Counseling Group! Our Team of Therapists has successfully helped people, just like you, overcome and manage unhealthy trauma. We give people the ability to think well and to think clearly. We commend you for looking for help, and we know reaching out is the hardest step. We are here to help and you don’t have to do this alone. We look forward to meeting you and to seeing how we can start improving your mindset and your life today. Ready to talk? Schedule below.