Can I benefit from couples counseling?
Your Relationship Deserves Support
Are you and your partner feeling disconnected lately? Does it seem like you are not seeing eye to eye anymore? Are there any barriers blocking your ability to trust or be intimate with one another? Whether your relationship is suffering because of conflict, infidelity, or abuse, or whether you are simply looking to rekindle the flame, couples therapy can help.
Healthy relationships flow with ease despite the difficulties that may arise. If that’s not what you are experiencing, take it as a sign that your relationship might need rebalancing. Couples therapy has supported many couples in confronting, addressing, and overcoming challenges that come their way.
Here at Ace Counseling Group, we offer couples therapy – both pre and post-marital – in the state of Illinois. You don’t have to keep struggling, feeling misunderstood, or upset by your behavior or your partner’s actions. There is a way, and you both deserve a chance to find it. We can help you navigate your path to a healthier life. If you want to know more schedule today or keep reading to learn about how we serve people through couples therapy for residents of Illinois.
What is Couples Counseling??
Couples therapy (or couples counseling) is the gold standard psychological treatment for relationship issues. Couples counseling involves confidential sessions where you and your loved one will have the opportunity to gain insight, hear and learn from each other—all with your therapist’s support and guidance. The goal is to have you both act as a team to work through your difficulties and find a way to move forward. Many couples feel anxious about trying couple therapy because of the stigma. What does this mean about my relationship? Are we not a happy couple anymore? What will my partner think when I say we should do marriage counseling? Some people try to tell themselves they don’t need help, that things are “fine.” And sometimes, one partner blames the other and believes that their issues are a one-way street.
Regardless of your situation, cultural background, or relationship status, you and your partner can benefit from couples therapy sessions to:
- Access difficult thoughts and emotions
- Gain skills and tools for effective communication
- Open up, listen with patience, and intention
- Help you see, understand and respect each other
- Identify and address conflicts
- Discover underlying implications of obstacles
- Learn tactics to enhance your relationship
- Shift unhealthy habits to healthier and sustainable dynamics
- Revitalize your bond with your loved one
Couples therapy can help you and your partner in every phase of your relationship—at the early stages, before getting married (pre-marital therapy), or after marriage (post-marital therapy or marriage counseling). No matter where you are in your relationship, you don’t have to wait and hope that things will get better. Take action today, and let our therapists help make your bond stronger.
How Do I Know if I Need Couples Counseling?
Your relationship doesn’t have to be in crisis for therapy to make a difference. Perhaps your relationship only needs a boost, a chance to reconnect and flourish. The truth is that every relationship can benefit from couples therapy. We all have space to grow and can lay the groundwork to prepare for challenges that may come our way. But, if you or your loved one are struggling with any of the following relationship issues, couples therapy is advised:
- Frequent fights or conflicts
- Infidelity, trust, or commitment issues
- Difficult or problematic communication
- Trouble with sex life or intimacy
- Disagreements or strain over finances
- Feeling disconnected or misunderstood
- Complications with relatives (i.e., in-laws) and friends
- Problems related to raising children, parenting styles, and other family stressors
- Differences in beliefs and decision-making
- Major life changes
- Abuse or violent behavior*
**If you are currently in a violent or abusive relationship that makes you feel unsafe, contact the domestic violence hotline (1.800.799.7233)**
How Can Couples Therapy Help?
Your couples therapist’s mission is to help your relationship improve, grow, and become self-sustaining. We also recognize that some relationships aren’t meant to be—in which case, we are here to provide you with guidance to come to a mutual understanding on how to part ways, if necessary. Couples therapy starts with exploring your relationship, background, and values. Your couples counselor will help you and your partner identify the issues at hand and desired goals, tailoring treatment to your needs. Your therapist is there to support you both in developing skills and implementing tools to address those challenges.
Effective couple therapy is all about recovering your shared sense of trust, bolstering your connection, and fostering healthier communication:
- Trust is the foundation of healthy relationships. It involves commitment, safety, and reliability. When there’s a breach of trust, that foundation cracks, resulting in instability and insecurity. Couples therapy can help you work through your trust problems so you can rebuild a solid footing and move forward.
- Connection implies physical and emotional intimacy. Connected partners feel drawn to each other and are comfortable with being vulnerable. A lack of connection can translate into being distant, having less interest in your sex life or affection in general. Couples therapy can bring you together to reconnect and tune into one another.
- Communication strengthens couples’ trust and connection. Having healthy communication means being able to express your needs, listening, and respecting each other. Poor interactions may lead to frustration, feeling judged, or like your loved one doesn’t speak your language. Couples counseling can help pinpoint harmful habits and find alternative ways to communicate.
So, if you are struggling and you think you and your partner might benefit from couples counseling, we can help. Please schedule now and have a free 15-minute phone consultation to see how we can help you with our couples therapy.
Welcome to ACE Counseling Group! Our Team of Therapists has successfully helped people, just like you, overcome and manage unhealthy relationship issues or concerns. We give people the ability to think well and to think clearly. We commend you for looking for help, and we know reaching out is the hardest step. We are here to help and you don’t have to do this alone. We look forward to meeting you and to seeing how we can start improving your mindset and your life today. Ready to talk? Schedule below.